Friday 11 July 2014

The Magicians by Lev Grossman


The Magicians by Lev Grossman

To say I wasn’t sure what to make of this book would be an understatement. Did it blow me away? I’m not sure. I think it could have been about three hundred pages longer and that would have been fine! It would have been even better. It would have cleared a lot of things up. For example, I found it unrealistic to think that Quentin developed so quickly over the years at Brakebills. He went from being an almost recluse to a sex having, drug taking badass with the Physical Kids. I feel like there is going to be a second novel. I hope so anyway, we’re still not sure what magical power Quentin is supposed to be specializing in. And what is the deal with Elliot? We’re never sure. Half way through, I think I was rooting for him and Quentin but then he is removed from the school. And Alice? Gets. On. My. Nerves. Not sure why.
The descriptions of everything was amazing, the magical school fantastic and the layers of the real world to Fillory’s to the other world left your head spinning. However, it fell short because ultimately, it was too short to deal with the subject matter. By page fourteen, Quentin was being put through examinations for the school. At the moment there seems to be a vogue for longer books so it is a shame that the author didn’t jump on board that train! Finger’s crossed there will be a second one that explains more. And if this was every a movie, than get comfortable! And bring a lot of popcorn. But before anyone starts filming/buying rights or putting out a trailer, I think I need to reread this novel. I wouldn’t say no to having my own copy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin