Wednesday 25 June 2014

Carrie by Stephen King


Carrie by Stephen King

I love horror stories. From Horace Walpole’s classic The Castle of Otranto to Rosemary’s Baby, I will happily consume them with relish! But not late at night. Carrie has recently been in the spotlight because of the current movie version. I haven’t seen it yet. I plan to but for the moment, I thought I’d give the original book a try. I am definitely going to start reading more Stephen King! I can see why Carrie was absolutely terrifying when it was published. I think in some ways you are torn between immense sympathy with the constantly bullied Carrie and her unexplained power. Did we not all go to school with someone who was a bit different? In my edition Stephen King introduces his novel, explaining the character of Carrie came from two girls who King went to high school with. The link between puberty and the onset of Carrie’s powers is fascinating. It all starts with a very uncomfortable scene in the girl’s changing rooms when Carrie gets her period and does not understand what is happening. This is a story that places blame on the lack of parenting from a mother whose own beliefs out weigh her daughter’s education and the isolation at school from girls who could have helped. You want your students to stop bullying the ‘strange’ girl in the back of the class? Put this book in their hand. It might make some sort of difference. King is hailed as one of the greatest storytellers alive today and I hope this review supports that statement. It is one that has been earned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin