Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Fault in our Stars by John Green


The Fault in our Stars by John Green

I have never been a book snob. I will literally read anything, which will be supported by my next post. A friend from the States recommended this book to me (Miss Aby Stoner). I knew that it was starting to become a bit of a phenomenon at the time but I had no idea why. Then amazon decided to change its damn shipping prices and I was FORCED to buy two books to make it up to ten pounds and get free delivery. Well played amazon. I could not put this down until I had finished it. There is a reason it is a New York Times bestseller. However. We have yet another book that centres on the relationship between a guy and girl? Although an original ending (no spoilers) I think we need a break. Hazel Grace does not want to fall in love, so why have her fall in love? She has very good reason not to be looking for a boyfriend. I’d like to see a review from a teenager suffering from cancer. I think some perspective is needed on the recent media attention surrounding the film. That being said, her intense search for an author to finish the book that she loves does ring a bell. When I was seventeen I was obsessed with Luke Rhinehart’s The Dice Man, or George Cockcroft as those in the know, know. I wrote to the author asking when Jesus Invades George was out and he sent me not only a SIGNED copy of it but Naked Before the World. Hazel Grace has put a seal on ‘fangirling’ (I think that is the term?) towards authors. Move over 1D, here come the bright young things that have an educated taste in music and literature. I have banned myself from seeing the film until I’m back in North Carolina, with Aby and watching it behind closed doors. No one needs to see that much emotion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin