Thursday 26 June 2014

First Love, Last Rites by Ian McEwan


First Love, Last Rites by Ian McEwan
My copy!

I love McEwan’s writing. I am aware that he is a bit of a marmite writer. I have read Atonement but I think this collection of short stories and The Cement Garden can be put in a different class. The Cement Garden has always (and will continue to) sat in my top ten books. McEwan’s subject matter in the collection of short stories and novel has more in common with Lolita than any period romance novel. The short stories are a disturbing mix of weird deaths, sex and pedophilia. Doesn’t sound like your cup of tea? You are missing out if you do not at least try to read this collection. Short story authors are almost always highly praised. McEwan is no exception. Writing short stories is supposed to be extremely difficult so when done well are superb. Books aren’t just here to entertain, they are meant to make your think and educate. At the end of the book I had to ask myself why I could not stop reading descriptions of rape and incest? That is the power of McEwan’s writing. Forget everything you know about this author if your only education has been Keira Knightly and James Macovy. McEwan should be remembered for his ability to write short stories and for the undeniable power of Cement Garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin