Wednesday 25 June 2014

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom


Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

I was worried about reading this because of just having finished university. But actually, I got through it partially dry-eyed. John William’s Stoner? I can’t touch that one at the moment. We learn that Albom used to want to be a piano player. We also know that he did not become this. What you can’t escape from, is the certainty that Morrie will eventually be no more. For me it was from the food Albom kept bringing and Morrie not eating. I want to hand this book to friends who have become obsessed with careers and money. I want to shove this in their hands and shout “do you remember when you loved Pride and Prejudice or Lord of the Rings?!” Why do we insist on letting life take over? Right now, being surrounded by books and (most importantly) time I can be self-rightous on this issue. I worry that if I get a full time job I’ll begin to lose my love of reading or the importance I place on literature. But I will always have this book to guide me, like Morrie did for Albom, back to myself.
Should definitely be read post-graduation. Along with The Graduate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow on Bloglovin